While 77 county elected officials stood for re-election to their current seats in this general election, only 5 were defeated. The common theme: all are democrats elected to represent rural parts of the state.
The five Democrats upended during last night’s results:
- Wicomico County Executive and MACo Past President Rick Pollitt, who lost to current County Council Member Bob Culver.
- St. Mary’s County Commission President and MACo Treasurer Francis “Jack” Russell, who lost to Randy Guy as the entire Board of Commissioners will now be Republican.
- Harford County Council Member Dion Guthrie, who lost to Mike Perrone, Jr. as that county also saw a Republican sweep as two Council seats changed party.
- Dorchester County Council Member Jay Newcomb, who lost in a close race to Don Satterfield.
- Worcester County Commissioner Virgil Shockley, who lost to Ted Elder.