The National Association of Counties (NACo) Board of Directors met last week to determine the Association’s 2012 legislative agenda.
2012 Legislative Priorities include:
- Promote balanced approach to deficit reduction
- Full funding for PILT
- Reauthorize Secure Rural Schools
- Strong rural development title in Farm Bill
- Oppose shift of Medicaid/social services costs to counties
- Reauthorize surface transportation/aviation programs
- Eliminate the federal health benefits “inmate exception” for persons detained in county jails pending disposition of charges
- Oppose unfunded mandates and preemptions of local governing authority.