The Maryland Association of Counties is seeking a graduate student for our 2022 Graduate Fellowship.
The Maryland Association of Counties (MACo) seeks a Graduate Fellow. This fellow will work closely with staff to support MACo’s mission of representing the 24 counties of Maryland during the 2022 legislative session. The program will last from December 2021 through mid-April 2022. This will be a paid position. If applicable, the fellowship may be eligible for course credit. Fellows will primarily be based in MACo’s Annapolis office, with some limited telework opportunities. This is not an entry-level position, but all applicants demonstrating an ability to meet the requirements below will be considered.
Note: The MACo office and the General Assembly buildings are in downtown Annapolis. In non-pandemic conditions, the fellow will need to travel to MACo’s office and to the General Assembly (this may include driving and walking). During pandemic-related restrictions, the fellow may be required to participate in meetings or legislative hearings and briefings through Zoom or other online meeting platforms.
Duties and work products may include the following:
- Draft, edit, proofread, and format correspondence, reports, and other documents
- Track and monitor the status of proposed and enacted laws, pressing issues of public policy, and projects/initiatives of interest to MACo and its affiliates
- Research and analyze different areas of policy and how they might impact local government
- Participate in and represent MACo at meetings and events
- Be in pursuit of a graduate or professional degree
- Strong proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite, including Word, PowerPoint, Excel, Teams
- Ability to handle and maintain the confidentiality of highly sensitive information
- Strong work ethic, positive attitude, and professional demeanor (a good sense of humor is appreciated)
- Ability to work independently and as part of a diverse workplace team
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Strong organizational, customer service, and project management skills
- Academic or professional experience in a public policy, local government, or law
How to Apply
Please submit a cover letter, a résumé, a brief (2 pages maximum) professional or academic public policy-related writing sample, 2 references (academic or professional), and a fun fact about yourself to Dominic J. Butchko, Associate Director, Maryland Association of Counties at firstname.lastname@example.org. The application deadline for this position is the close of business on October 29, 2021.